Lady wildcats play to honor Crabtree

Wildcat+fans+pack+the+stands+in+support+of+the+girls+basketball+team.++The+JV+team+was+in+a+tragic+bus+accident+the+previous+night.++

Emily Bauman

Wildcat fans pack the stands in support of the girls basketball team. The JV team was in a tragic bus accident the previous night.

Hannah Sparrow, Staff Reporter

Peoria Richwoods Knights and Normal West Wildcats stood arm and arm to reflect on the bus accident that occurred Wednesday night.  

Heavy hearts filled the stands in the Normal West gymnasium as staff, students, and other members from the community gathered to watch the girls basketball team play despite the trauma to fellow Wildcats the night before.

Before the start of the game a moment of silence was had for long time Unit 5 bus driver and avid Normal West supporter, Charlie Crabtree, who passed away Wednesday night due to injuries from the bus crash. Those in the stands were relieved to hear that the eight students involved in the crash were released from the hospital and JV coach, Steve Price, was on his way to recovery.

Despite the West’s loss to Richwoods, 62-30, the girls were able to hold their heads high knowing that their fellow Wildcat basketball players survived and were going to be able to play alongside them again.

#PlayforCharlie