West prepares for spring musical

Students prepare for the upcoming production, called “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.”

Grace Hensley, Staff Reporter

Many students who are participating in the spring musical at Normal West are preparing their roles to put on this spring’s show, called “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.”  

Originally written by Tim Rice with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, the story is based off of the original story of Joseph from the bible’s book of Genesis.  The title comes from Joseph’s “coat of many colors.”

There is almost no dialogue in the play.  Most of the text is communicated through just singing, along with dancing as well.  The music genre is considered rock opera.

According to senior Natalie Clark, who is a dancer in the play, “I believe the most important part of having a successful outcome for the musical is communication.  Not only communication between the cast, but also communication between the directors so everyone knows what they’re supposed to do and it’s as organized as possible.”  

Auditions for the play took place on Tuesday, March 6th, and Wednesday, March 7th.  Finalized parts were announced on the 8th. The play is directed by Ms. Marvin, and Mr Kerr.  

As the time of the performance comes closer, the cast is preparing to put on the production for Normal West.  The days of the show are on May 4th, 5th, and 6th. Tickets will be sold early at lunch, or at the door on the days of the musicals.  

Many students and teachers put hard work and effort into this musical, and are excited to share it with anyone else who wants to see the performance.  As the time of the production gets closer everyday, the nerves build up, but so does the excitement.