West marketing students hear pitch at Busch Stadium

Normal+West+marketing+students%2C+teacher+Mrs.Maynerish%2C+and+volunteers+pose+for+a+celebratory+photo+after+the+Cardinals+hit+their+first+of+three+home+runs+that+day.+

Normal West marketing students, teacher Mrs.Maynerish, and volunteers pose for a celebratory photo after the Cardinals hit their first of three home runs that day.

Hannah Sparrow, Staff Reporter

Normal West’s Sports and Entertainment Marketing students recently attended a Cardinals vs Nationals game in St. Louis, and before the game, students were invited to hear MLB representatives talk about business and had the opportunity to visit with local college reps.

Every year the Cardinals host a career day for high schools around the Midwest to attend.

On Wednesday, September 18 students arrived at  Busch Stadium, not only to watch the baseball game but to hear from some of the most influential and successful people in the sports marketing world.

Before the game began, the students attended a panel discussion of representatives from FOX Sports, St. Louis Blues, and the Cardinals who spoke on their careers.

Marketing teacher Mrs. Maynerich was excited to provide her students with the opportunity “to listen to some of the biggest names in the [sports] industry talk.”

“It was cool to hear all of those people talk,” said Kahmeel Johnson (12). “They were all really encouraging and made me really think about what I want to do after I graduate.”

After the panel was over the students spent their time visiting college booths and talking with representatives. 

“My favorite part of the trip was being able to talk with college students and professors that study those things [marketing], said Rebekah Willey (12). “I think that’s something I would like to study.”

This is Mrs. Maynerich’s first year teaching this class and she believes, “Because the students were so respectful and the career day was so cool, I would definitely take kids back there again!”

The students will continue to learn this semester all about the behind the scenes work of the sports and entertainment market. “This field trip prepared my students well for what’s to come,” said Mrs. Maynerich. 

“Sports and Entertainment Marketing is a class about the ‘fun stuff’ that isn’t always associated with being in business,” said Kyra Doherty (12). 

This field trip was a swing and a hit for West’s marketing students!