Wildcats striving to keep their New Year resolutions

Lavender Ortery (12) keeping to her goals and blocking out the negative vibes

Keaton Knuth, Staff Reporter

When a year comes to an end, it’s tradition for people to make resolutions that will make them a better person in the new year. According to author Carolyn Gregoire, only 8% of people actually keep their New Year’s resolutions.

Some Wildcats shared their New Year’s resolutions with The Paw Print.

Lavender Ortery (12) said that her main goal for 2019 was to cut negativity out of her life. She said that she didn’t “want to surround myself with negativity because it doesn’t lead to anything but trouble.”

Sophomore RJ Young said that as he goes into the new year, he is going to start making decisions that will be more beneficial to him in the long run; “In 2018, I made a lot of decisions because they seemed like fun in the moment. They turned out to damage me in the long run though.”

Both Ortery and Young have said that their resolutions have been going well. They are hopeful that this continues throughout the year.

According to Time magazine, the most popular resolution that ends up being broken is losing weight and eating healthy.

Falling into the category of stereotypical goals, Bella Delsasso (12) decided to set the goal of eating less and losing weight. As the second week of January is almost over, she is one of many people who have failed to keep their New Year resolutions.

When asked why she ditched her goal, she replied “I tried it, and decided that it wasn’t even worth the trouble. I like food too much.”

English teacher Ms. Marivn said that her goals consisted of eating healthier and reading more. She says that the eating portion of her goal is going well, but the reading isn’t doing the best: “Well, I try to budget my time better to allow for it, and plan better. Reading isn’t going so well yet.”

Michael Henning (12), said that he did not set any New Year resolutions because he believes that “ the idea of them is great. But the reality is that most people don’t usually follow through with them”.

Now that 2019 has begun, many resolutions have started and ended. Those who weren’t successful in keeping their goals, will probably make the same goals next year and sadly, will also fail to be succeed.