West celebrates Foreign Language Honors Night

Gina Dauenheimer, Staff Reporter

On Wednesday April 24th Normal West hosted the Foreign Language Honors Night in the auditorium. Students got awards for their success in foreign language classes.

Coming in the door, students and their families were welcomed by the foreign language teachers and offered snacks and punch.

Keynote speaker, ISU Professor Dr. Erin A. Mikuec, started off the evening by telling the audience about her experience with foreign language and how it has impacted her life. Mikuec taught at many universities such as Purdue University, Middlebury College, St John Fisher College and many more, but for the last ten years she is the Associate Professor at ISU. She speaks English, Spanish, Italian, French and Japanese, and was a Fulbright Scholar in Finland.

This school year the foreign language teachers got to choose Students of the Month which got an award during the Honors Night. They gave out Level Awards for the student with the best grade in the foreign language class as well.

“The cool part about Honors Night is the honors night induction which recognize students with high achievements,” said Frau Higby.

The Honor Cord Recipients got an award and lit candles to honor their learning. The Dual Language Award went to Junior Amara Sheppard and the Polyglot Award went home with Senior Elizabeth Betancourt, which she received because she enrolled and excelled in German, French, and Spanish.

Higby added, “My favorite part is the National German Exam Winner because they actually won a medal.”

Jason Boomgarden has won the gold medal two times in a row.